Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography
My Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography for this awesome couple was at a local wedding venue that I’ve wanted to photograph for years. Having been a Guildford resident and wedding photographer for the past fifteen years or so, the Cathedral has been on my venue wish list for all that time. This imposing building dominates the skyline of Guildford. Built between 1936 and 1961 and designed by Edward Maufe in a Neo-Gothic/Art Deco style the construction was halted by WW2 and only completed after a ‘Buy-a-Brick’ campaign once the original funds has run out. The Guildford Cathedral was then used as a location for the 1976 film The Omen, and continues to welcome visitors and worshippers to this day.
Preparing to photograph a beautiful summer wedding at Guildford Cathedral
Abi and Tony had booked me well in advance of the wedding and so I really wanted to make the most of the opportunity to photograph their wedding at Guildford Cathedral. I attended their wedding ceremony rehearsal the day before, which gave me the opportunity to meet the dean of the cathedral and ensure that I could get the shots I wanted without disturbing the ceremony. I like to meet all my couples before their wedding, and you can find more detail on what’s included HERE.
The Morning of the Wedding
As a wedding photographer, I need to be prepared for anything, and despite all the planning the rain on the morning of the wedding was nothing less than biblical! It didn’t seem to dampen spirits at all though, and my shots of Abi and bridesmaids getting ready was a great way for them to feel comfortable with being photographed, and I was even able to get some lovely reaction shots to a video message that Tony had prepared, and was able to drive with the bride and her father to the Cathedral, which is something that I love to do whenever it’s possible.
The Marriage Ceremony
Even though the number of wedding guests at this time had to be limited, the marriage ceremony and their Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography was no less special, and having already visualised a few key shots that I wanted to get, I was able to creep around and get some lovely moments between the bride and groom with a telephoto lens, whilst also capturing some wide angle images that really show off the epic scale of the cathedral where this couple had chosen to get married.
The Wedding Reception
After becoming husband and wife, and capturing Tony and Abi’s Guildford Cathedral wedding photography, there was just time for a few wedding portraits and family group photos outside the cathedral with Guildford as a scenic backdrop. Afterwards we all moved on to the wedding reception at the Lakeside restaurant within the campus of The University of Surrey where Tony is a course leader. The couple’s attachment to Guildford is strong, and it was so nice that they were able to keep everything local. Guests of all ages had a great time and some great, and some questionable moves were displayed on the dance floor!
Why I Love Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography
- As a Surrey wedding photographer I get to visit some amazing historic churches and wedding venues, but the history of Guildford Cathedral make it a tourist destination and an incredibly exclusive space for Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography that you’ll be able to visit time and time again, and never tire of saying “we got married there!”
- The vast space of Guildford Cathedral sets it apart for almost any other church or cathedral in Surrey, and would suite a larger wedding. The space means there are ample opportunities for photos from different angles and as an unobtrusive photographer, I’m able to move around discretely whilst capturing beautiful moments without distracting from the wedding ceremony itself.
- The simply jaw dropping architectural interior of Guildford Cathedral is a photographer’s dream! The relative contemporary design of the space means that it is light and bright, whilst still of course providing a classic backdrop to your vows.
- For anyone with an attachment to the town, the breathtaking panoramic views of Guildford from the raised position of Guildford Cathedral will amaze your guests as they begin to congregate for your wedding ceremony, and the views of the Surrey landscape provides an amazing backdrop to your first wedding portraits as a married couple.
- Proximity to some of Guildford’s most beautiful local wedding venues for your wedding reception such as Loseley Park, Gate Street Barn, Greyfriars House, Barnett Hill Hotel, or even RHS Gardens Wisley, means that after the formality of you Guildford Cathedral Wedding Photography, you and your guests can continue the day and let your hair down in equally stunning surroundings.